Leftover Chicken Burrito
October 13, 2009
After the very successful roasted chicken we had some serious leftovers. Noticing that we also had some old, sad, flour tortillas I knew what had to happen…
- 1 19oz (540mL) can of black beans, strained and rinsed
- 1/2 medium onion, medium dice
- 1/4 C to 1/2 C cooked shredded chicken meat, with some skin if available
- few pinches of dried oregano
- healthy shakes of mexican chili powder (recipe follows)
- Over medium heat add 2 tablespoons canola oil to a wide cast iron frying pan. When hot add onions and sauté until translucent but not brown.
- Add chicken and sauté to mix. Add the beans and sauté for about a minute to combine the flavors.
- Add around 1/2 C water, and spices. Bring to a boil and simmer until most of the water evaporates and the mixtures becomes think. Help this along buy light mashing the beans as they cook with a wooden spoon.
Mexican Chili Powder
- 3 T ground red chilies
- 1-1/2 T garlic powder
- 1-1/2 T ground oregano
- 1-1/2 T ground cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Mix together and put into a spice shaker.
- Bean and Chicken Filling
- diced tomatoes
- finely sliced romaine lettuce
- grated cheddar cheese
- Green salsa
- Flour tortillas
- Steam the tortillas until nice and soft. I used a large pot with a strainer and a little water.
- Assemble the burritos by first adding some grated cheese then the chicken mixture. Top this with some tomatoes and green salsa, and finish off with the lettuce. Roll up the burittos and place on a plate.
- Heat a large skillet over a medium high heat. Once hot place the burritos open side down and cook until nicely brown. Flip and repeat until all 4 sides are crispy.
- Remove from heat an wrap tightly in tin foil.